Pages

Monday 5 August 2019

Make Peace with Your Light



At the time of writing it is a waxing crescent moon, said to represent courage, moving forwards and faith. How does this relate to your dreams? Well, the opposite of all these is fear and being stuck in the past. All things that kill our dreams.

Recently I found myself contemplating fear of rejection. How I'm constantly holding myself back creatively because of this fear. Even in circles where I do feel safe and feel I can be myself, I walk away worrying if I'm too much. This can snowball into an avalanche of negative thinking. I then replay things over and over...living in the past. 

I don't really have a solid bedrock (parents/family) to turn to in times where I need reassurance, so I have to rely on adult me. I draw upon the wisdom of experience here and what I would tell others. People balk over so called "self-help" books, but honestly, some of those authors have been my saving grace. There's nothing like someone sharing their own experiences with you and telling you "everything is going to be alright." It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I really lament not being able to pop round a parents house and get a reassuring hug. But I know I'm not alone in this.

Just as this fear really got a hold of me I read something that completely disabled it of its power; 
"Make peace with your own magnificence as you boldly continue through life."
There is so much in that one sentence! Make peace suggests that you struggle with who you are, with characteristics that might scare you. When you allow them to shine, fear steps in telling you that you'll be rejected if you continue to shine in that way. So you try and hold back, making yourself more "acceptable". 

magnificent

adjective
 /mæɡˈnɪf·ə·sənt/

causing admiration esp. because of an unusual quality such as great size or beauty.

If we lean more towards being introvert, or have fears of rejection, anything that brings attention - causing admiration, unusual quality - can make us feel extremely vulnerable. We have an inner urge to be ourselves and to shine, but it can be too risky. If we take that risk we end up paying for it with intense bouts of worry. 

The reason that one sentence spoke to me was because someone else was stating, you are magnificent, we all are, and we need to make peace with this fact, thus giving us permission to shine and be our unique, quirky selves. If we all allowed ourselves to shine, imagine how different the world would be.

It's so incredibly easy to play it safe, and not rock the boat. However, we will have to live with the "what if" regret. Life is a precious gift and we don't want to waste it, hiding our lights.

To realise our dreams takes courage. If it was easy, we'd all be living our dreams right now. But even then, once one dream is realised or goal fulfilled, there will always be another to strive for. And in the pursuit of our dreams we also grow. And that can be very uncomfortable.

So today, embrace your own magnificence! What are those unusual quirks you try and hide? Begin to embrace them. You can be one hundred percent sure that you're not alone in this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Synchronicities - How Do I Know If I’m on the Right Path?

If you have questions about the direction of your life and synchronicities, you're in the right place. In fact you could count bein...